Sunday, May 4, 2008

Caving Subculture


This is Marshall. No, I haven't subverted Jani's blog. She actually requested that I post. We are working on starting hobbies that we do together (We've agreed to disagree on the drawing of house plans and playing racquetball). So, here it goes...

Yesterday, we officially joined the caving subculture by attending the Arizona Regional Association spring camp out. We've been caving for the last 6 months or so but we've never done anything so official. We did our first-ever rappel using a rack and ascent using a "frog". Imagine a frog trying to climb a rope... that is kind of what we looked like. Jani loves hanging from a rope and opted out of a nicer cave just so she could do the rappel.

We weren't the only couple that showed up together but Jani was the only wife that went out with guys into the caves. Guys who love the outdoors are always jealous of my wife and her enthusiasm for adventure.

We were the only ones who showed up with liquid nitrogen. Geeks. Turns out that there are lots of geeks in the caving world (there was lots of geeking-out over GPS, mapping, ham-radio in the caves, etc.) and the liquid nitrogen ice cream was a great ice breaker.

Although we were geeky enough to fit into the caving culture we were under equipped. So, I guess we've got to spend that REI rebate and diet prize money now. Anybody have a used croll or handled ascender we can buy?

4 comments:

Evenstar said...

Caving gear? I guess it doesn't count as a serious hobby unless you need specialized equipment. Have fun!

Oma said...

Wahoo! what a great photo. I love seeing my sweet harts all muddy.

The UnMighty said...

That's impressive. Most couples just take a dancing class or go to a movie or something. But not you guys. You go subterranean.

Mitzi said...

That is awesome!! I love reading your blog, always some adventure going on...keep it up!!:)