Wednesday, September 3, 2008

House Update

I should be showering (I'm covered in dust) but I wanted to share our recent, partial victories. 

So I was probably a little premature in describing the remaining floor project as "a few stubborn pieces of grout". Those few stubborn piecies took two more evenings of three people (Our friend Andrew really came through), two compressors, two air hammers, another chisel, 4 lbs sledge hammer, several masonry cut-off wheels, and finally (and really this is the only one that matters since everything else failed in some way) a demolition drill. If I was gushing about the sawzall, I'm head over heels for the demolition drill. Unfortunately, it was strictly an overnight lend. Andrew really went the extra mile in borrowing tools for our project. As he was leaving tonight, he made an off-hand comment that he was laying some pavers next month... I guess he thinks I owe him one (probably more than one).  Now, I can say that there are only a few specs of grouts that were too tedious to get with the demolition drill and a few gouges where we got a little carried away and a lot of dust.

I finally found some more stair tread. The same lumber yard that insisted they didn't have any, magically found 32 of them in their yard when I called to special order them. The grand total was $68. Jani was quick to point out that this is how much she saved us with her dumpster-dive. I was wise enough not to mention that I get at least $34 of credit because I refused to make shelves out of them. 



 


4 comments:

Jani said...

Okay, so I guess stairs are a lot more useful than shelves.

Evenstar said...

I'm not sure that $68 outweighs the shame of being known as a dumpster diver. :P

theriddle said...

In this family their is no shame in Dumpster Diving. I hear dad is getting together a petition to make in an Olympic sport. It is finally time that the D-diver be shown some respect.

Congratulations on your house.

Oma said...

Wahoo! I love the dumpster diver and her Dad. I think I will call him DDD from now on, just think maybe I could make a country western hit out of it. "My man is a dumpster diver, oh the treasures he has found in the trash."