Friday, July 24, 2009

Monsoon season is upon us

Pioneer Day. Although it is not a state holiday in Arizona like it is in Utah, I am still proud and amazed by the Mormon pioneers and their strength and faith. I like to think that I have that same strength in me, for though I have not endured the hardships they have, their God is my God, and I worship and follow him. In the strength of the Lord I can do all things.

We arrived back in town from the trip to Utah Saturday night late. And amazingly enough, the pollen count isn't that high here. I love the monsoon season we have here--last night was deliciously cool. The temperature and humidity were perfect—it was like being in Hawaii. And since the pollen count is low, we were able to sleep with the windows open, something I really miss doing since I have developed allergies, because it really cools off at night here in the desert.

Last night after scripture reading, Eden decided she wanted to try sleeping with the children and we gave in. So she crawled into the loft bed in their room with Marshall's “knee” pillow, which is a small bone shaped memory foam pillow that Marshall puts between his legs while sleeping. I have tried this and it is really comfortable. Anyway, it's also just the perfect size for her head. Marshall looked dejected when he realized he wasn't going to have his knee pillow, and Mariah generously offered to let him use her “Sosie” (a silky/stretchy piece of fabric she is attached to and absolutely loves) to put between his knees. Her favorite thing—what a sweetie. Surprisingly enough, Eden did fall right to sleep.

After prayers each night as I am putting the children to bed I ask each of them, “What is the best thing that happened to you today?” It's something my Mom always did with me. Emmett's answer was, “Being the best kid in my class.” He got an award from his teacher, a “You brighten my day” ticket for diligently doing his work. Last year that is the very particular problem he struggled with. I am so glad I didn't extend my vacation, but that I came back in time for him to start school on time and have two days to recover from our trip before he started first grade.

We enjoy some childrens' picture books about a character named “Fancy Nancy”. I am very surprised the author doesn't know Mariah because she and Nancy are two peas in a pod. If you haven't read these I recommend them. The illustrations really pull the whole story line about this elaborate girl, so if you haven't read them I recommend them. Anyway, one of the things they have in common is how Fancy Nancy feels about her mom. She thinks her Mom dresses really boring and not fancy. I think she even says that her mother's clothing is “understated”. Mariah being the fancy girl that she is, I think that is how she feels about me. Whenever I put on a little lipstick, wear a new shirt, or do anything even remotely fancy, she notices and compliments me. I wore some shoes the other day that I haven't worn in a while and she said, “Mom, did you get new shoes? Those are cute!”

Eden. Traveling was a little hard on Eden sometimes because she didn't always get her nap. The night we picked up Marshall from the airport and were heading back to Provo before our odyssey the next day she was simply exhausted, but instead of outright crying and just throwing a temper tantrum, she kept saying over and over again, “I can't stop talking, I just can't stop talking” for about 10 minutes or more, much to Emmett's dismay (he was seated next to her). That girl just loves to talk.

7 comments:

Nettina said...

your kids are so cute!! thanks for sharing the stories!

Evenstar said...

I'm so glad to have you guys back!

Seventh Child said...

Eden the talker, a girl after my own heart!

Oma said...

Wow, I can hardly wait until October and we get to see you again. Thanks for spending a couple of weeks with your crazy parents.

Amy said...

Yey! A post! Now we just need you to post pics because it's been over a year since I've seen your cute children. It's fun to hear about them. Go Emmett!! Congrats on your award. Mariah sounds very cute and sweet. Katelyn is definitely more girlie girl than I ever was. Eden sounds like a lot of fun! Thanks for an update!

I know how it goes when you visit a place with LOTS of people to visit. That's funny--I was just thinking about you right when you were here. We were hiking up White Pine Trail and I was thinking how much fun Cecret Lake was with you, and how I was so proud of taking Katelyn BY MYSELF and there you were with THREE kids BY YOURSELF. It was a fun day! Hopefully, we see you another time soon.

charlesfam said...

Thanks for the stories. It's been a long time since we've seen you and your kids. So long in fact that you've added a couple. They sound adorable.

Kimberly said...

Do you know what you are having yet?